The Carmel Mission, San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo, was founded in 1770. The second pf the California missions, it is located near the Carmel River and served as the headquarters of all California missions. It became a parish church in 1933; both the church and the grounds have been beautifully maintained ever since. Chosen to be the first among the Camino Real mission series contemplated by the artist. Signed. 2 ¾ x 2 x 2.